· By Ohh! Foods Customer Success Marketing
Allergies 101: What are they and how can we fight them naturally!
There are some words in the dictionary that sound light, airy and fun. And then there are words like “allergies” that feel heavy and stick out like a sore thumb. If you have allergies, our heart goes out to you because we share your pain! Ohh! Foods was created because of our owner, Brittany’s, serious allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. She was frustrated that she couldn’t find a healthy, allergen-friendly snack on the shelf of any store, so she took it upon herself to create an option that everyone could enjoy. Ohh! Foods Cookie Dough and Bites was launched in 2018 and it has taken the market by storm ever since then. Although allergies are becoming more and more severe, one thing hasn’t changed, the ability for everyone to enjoy their Ohh! Foods treats without breaking into hives! Yay for allergen-friendly options!
In today’s blog post, we are going to break down the why behind allergies. Why do we react? Why do we get allergies? How can we keep them at bay? We’ll be covering all of those topics and more. Grab your Ohh! Foods Cookie Dough and keep reading!
The Allergic Sequence:
The allergic sequence of events begins when you inhale, ingest, swallow or come into contact with the allergen. Our proteins take a defensive strategy to combat the allergen and naturally create a protein called Immunoglobulin E or (IgE). This compound binds to the food molecule and triggers a cascade of events that cause the release of histamine, a chemical that is released by the white blood cells into the bloodstream when the immune system is being attacked by a potential allergen. In other words, it's basically a superhero coming to the rescue!
You might not feel like you are being rescued when you experience a feeling of warmth, redness in your face, light-headedness, shortness of breath, dizziness, anxiety, pain, loss of consciousness, nausea or diarrhea, but we promise you that your body is hard at work fighting for you on the inside! It may take several hours for the reaction to subside depending on the severity of it. For some, it may be a few minutes, for others it may be a few weeks. So now that we now how and why allergies happen, let’s talk about a few superfoods you can eat to support your immune system and to help your body fight off these pesky allergies!
Natural Allergy Reducing Tips:
1. Stay Hydrated!
- This is extremely important for not only reducing allergens, but for your health in general. Our bodies are composed mainly of water, therefore we should drink plenty of it! Studies have shown that when we are dehydrated our bodies produce higher histamine levels that drive allergies. That’s the opposite of what we want! Keep yourself hydrated by either drinking plain, fruit-infused water, electrolytes or vitamin C packets. Simply add them water, drink and repeat often! Not only are you boosting your hydration levels, you are increasing your vitamin C intake, strengthening your immune system and increasing your energy levels as lethargy is often confused with dehydration. Water can do so much more than help your body ward off allergies and infection. Think of it as your energizing drink!
2. Vitamin C
- The ultimate immune boosting powerhouse. Vitamin C single handedly protects our cells from damage from external threats. It can reduce the severity of our allergies while simultaneously combating infections. Vitamin C acts as a natural antihistamine, a powerful anti-inflammatory and naturally helps to repair tissue damage. You can find Vitamin-C in fruits and vegetables such as; red bell peppers, strawberries, broccoli, brussel sprouts, potatoes and citrus fruits. Another way to boost your Vitamin C levels is by taking your Vitamin C packets regularly to keep your allergies at bay and your immune system year round! If you want to take it up a level, juice the core of a pineapple and mix it in with your Vitamin C shot. Pineapple contains an antioxidant called bromelain that is a natural antihistamine.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Shots
- If only these were the classic tequila shots that you used to take on Thursday nights in University…These are the adult allergy shots that help to combat inflammation, allergies and support digestion. Boring. We know. All jokes aside, apple cider vinegar is a powerful immune booster that helps to break up mucus and reduce inflammation. The symptoms that one experiences with inflammation can be similar to those of allergies, so it's important to ensure that inflammation levels are at an ultime low so your body can focus on freeing your airways and allergies!
- You likely remember the turmeric lattes craze last year. Turmeric lattes were a hot commodity and for a good reason! Turmeric contains curcumin, which can help prevent the release of histamine from our mast cells in the event of an allergic reaction and can inhibit anaphylactic reactions. Turmeric is also a well-known anti-inflammatory fighting powerhouse and is commonly used to help minimize swelling and irritation caused by inflamed sinuses. Almond milk lattes are delicious, but do your allergy fighting body a solid by ordering a turmeric latte or adding a hearty teaspoon to your next meal!
There you have it! Four superfoods (one of which is practically free!) that you can add to your meals to boost your immune system, improve your body’s ability to fight off allergies and inflammation and to better your health in general. When you are craving something sweet and need a snack or dessert that is free of all allergens, turn to the dessert you love and trust - Ohh! Foods. Cookie Dough and Bites that are free of the top ten allergens!